Detox Summit , a free online round-up of "experts" in the area of detoxification. When you register for the program-- which runs from yesterday, August 4, to August 11, you can watch any or all of the day's presentations ( audio presentations with sideshows of information covered in the interview) from 10am ET on the day of the interview until 9:59am on the following day.
Register HERE for the Detox Summit.
Day 1 Presenters:
Dr. Richard Bland, PhD
- introduced as the "Father of Detox"
- he talked a little about 'Functional Medicine' -- that is, medicine that focuses on the optimal functioning of the body and its organs unlike allopathic (orthodox/traditional) medicine which is generally focused upon illness (pathology). Functional medicine throws a large treatment net to bring in holistic and alternative approaches to dealing with the results of toxicity, for example.
- The detoxification is not a pharmaceutical end in itself-- with functional medicine the goal is to help an individual detox in a way that fits for them (there are slow detoxers and fast detoxers) and to use nutrition and other natural means to return to optimal body functioning.
- Dr. Bland talked about some very interesting research in the field of biochemistry.
Dr. David Perlmutter MD, FACN, ABIHM
- Dr. Perlmutter is a sort of Brain Science "wunderkind" who was scrubbing up beside his neuro-surgeon father when still a young lad in high school, and who published brain research in his early years of University.
- He is perhaps best known for his book Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers Along with the other popular book written against the wheat protein gluten, Perlmutter is an outspoken advocate for removing gluten and, indeed, all grains and high glycemic-index carbohydrates, from the diet. He contended in the presentation that parents would be immeasurably well-served if they took a month to place their child with ADHD or autism on a gluten-free (grain-free) diet instead of allowing the child to be prescribed amphetamines.
Dr. Mark Hyman, MD
- Dr. Hyman has worked quite a lot with people who have digestive issues related to what he sees as sugar toxicity. He was part of the documentary Fed Up that takes a look at "Big Food" and its role in perpetuating obesity and chronic related diseases. He also sees sugar in its many forms as a omnipresent toxin in our nutritional environment.
Dr. Alexandro Junger, MD
- As a vegetarian, for health, ethical and religious reasons, I found that I resonated most closely with Dr. Junger's presentation. He traveled through India as young MD and was impressed with the holistic, interdisciplinary methods of treating people that he encountered there in his work. He subsequently studied ayurvedic medicine.
- He was introduced as the Superstar of Detoxicology since he has been working in the area of detoxicology, both as a researcher and a physician for many years. He wrote Clean -- Expanded Edition: The Revolutionary Program to Restore the Body's Natural Ability to Heal Itself
The Detox Summit Package includes:
- 30 video slideshow presentations
- 30 audio presentations
- Transcripts for each presentation (PDF)
- Bonus materials provided by presenters
The package will be available in digital format with each file housed on an online membership site/portal. Persons purchasing the above package will receive a login, password and lifetime access to this site, where they can easily download the files or watch them online.
So much information in Day 1! I'm off to make sure I listen to Day 2 and will provide a few notes if I am able. Please listen to the series yourself if you are reading this in "real time" or purchase the Detox Summit Package if you want to hear all the presentations. Be sure to come back here, or look for us on Twitter and Pinterest.
Below are some books written by the authors who presented on Day #1: