- 1 C. Brown Basmati Rice
- Water to cook Rice in (according to your rice-cooking directions on your package)
- 1 medium size Squash, your choice, split in half, and roasted in the oven
- 2 medium Yellow Onions, roughly chopped and toasted in oven with squash
- 14 oz/398 ml can of Organic Black Beans (or beans soaked and pre-cooked by you)
- 1 C. Organic Tomato-Basil Pasta Sauce (or 1 C. of your preferred Tomato Sauce)
- 1 C. Frozen or Fresh Organic Corn kernels
- 4-8 C. Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder, or to taste
- Handful of Fresh Greens of your choice (I used Chard)
Cooking the Squash and Onion
- Preheat oven to 350F and split squash in half and chop onions. Line cooking pan to accommodate squash and onions, line with parchment paper (or spray with oil). Lay squash "face" down and fit onions around. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash, drain, and cook rice as per package instructions.
- When Squash and Onions are baked, cool, scoop out and dice the squash.
- Add all items except Greens to a large soup pot and add in other ingredients. Cook on Medium until boiling, and then reduce to Low heat. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until it looks and tastes the way you like it.
- Chop Greens and add to the top of the pot. Steam them until they are tender (5+ minutes).
- Adjust seasonings to suit you, your family and guests.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Daiya vegetarian cheese shreds.