Oh, Mama, this is soooo delicious! Here are the ingredients (with suggestions for subs):
INGREDIENTS FOR 4-6 PEOPLE/ VEGGIE TOFU STROGANOFF
- Extra Firm Organic Non-GMO Tofu Block (16 ounces/ 450 g)
- 3 T. Organic Soy Sauce (Tamari) (could be GlutenFree)
- 1 Organic Garlic Clove, Minced or Grated
- 1 T. Vegetable Oil (or 1/4 C. Water if on Oil-Free Diet)
- 2 C. Chopped Red Onions
- 1 Large Bunch of Fresh Organic Chard, Stems Chopped Separate/Leaves Chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Hungarian Smoked Paprika (or ground mild Chipotle)
- 2 C. Peeled and Sliced Carrots
- 2 C. Mushrooms, Cleaned and Sliced (I used Baby Bella)
- 1/2 C. Dilute Apple Cider Vinegar (about 1/3 Vinegar/ 2/3Water) or 1/2 C. Dry Red Wine
- 1 1/2 C. Organic Tomato/Basalmic Pasta Sauce (Good deals at Walmart & Costco)
- 1- 2 C. Organic Quinoa (I used the Mixed Colors)
- 1/2 C. to 1 Cup Almond Sour Cream (or can use a store-bought variety-- but not so much fun!)
- Soak the Almonds for the Almond Sour Cream the night before and prepare sometime before the preparation o the Stroganoff. Give yourself an hour+ to prepare the stroganoff for the night's meal.
- Cut the Tofu Block horizontally in 3 equal size layers and then cut the block vertically into 27 cubes (3X3 show up on the top of the block and with the other 2 layers=27 cubes)
- Toss Tofu Cubes in blend of Soya Sauce (Tamari) and Minced or Grated Garlic. Coat well. Set aside and stir occasionally while prepping other veggies.
- Warm the Oil in a large Soup Pot on the stove. Add the Onions, the Chopped Chard Stems and the Salt. StRir for about 10 minutes.
- Add in Paprika or Chipotle and Sliced Carrots. Cover and Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Mushrooms and Apple Cider Dilution (or Wine); Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Tomato Sauce and Chard Leaves. Cover and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer until everything is tender and fragrant. (5-10 minutes)
- Add the Tofu Cubes in their Tarmari-Garlic marinade and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
20 Minutes before serving, cook Quinoa according to package directions (I generally cook 1 Cup Quinoa in 2 Cups Water-- Bring it to a boil and then turn down to LOW heat, cover, and cook until water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent.
Plate by putting a layer of fluffy Quinoa, followed by the serving of Stroganoff, and topping with the Almond Sour Cream. My husband likes a sprinkling of Chipotle on his Sour Cream.
This is an adaptation for Tofu Stroganoff from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics:350 Recipes for Homestyle Favorites and Everyday Feasts