Looking for a delicious way to use your yummy fresh garden basil but almost had a heart attack when you saw the cost of pine nuts for the pesto recipe? Subbing home-toasted sunflower seeds will give you a very tasty crunchy pesto for a fraction of the cost of pine nuts!
- 1 C. raw, organic, shelled Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 3 - 4 Garlic cloves
- 2+ tsp. fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice
- 4 C. lightly-packed Basil leaves
- 1/2 C. extra virgin Olive Oil
- In skillet over medium heat, combine Seeds and Salt, and stirring throughout, toast until most seeds are golden (careful not to burn!). Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine all ingredients --except Olive Oil-- in food processor.
- Process while drizzling Olive Oil through the top opening.
- Store in mason jar in the fridge. Makes about 2 C. Delicious on pasta, pizza, crackers, brioche, toast, or as the crunchy crust on a cheese ball.