I am cooking up and submitting this recipe because I have a library book that has this recipe in it and I want to remember it. The book is One-Dish Vegan Revised and Expanded Edition: 175 Soul-Satisfying Recipes for Easy and Delicious One-Pan and One-Plate Dinnersand I highly recommend it.
I do a number of subs for things I don't have in the house/fridge (example, I don't have baby spinach, I would never buy pine nuts, and I don't really like red pepper all that much).
I do find, however, that many recipe-makers tend to have a very tasty outcome and that is what I go for!
- 8 - 12 oz of Penne pasta, uncooked (I am using brown rice penne- gluten-free)
- 1/4 C. water
- 5 Garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz Baby Kale(or other greens on-hand, such as chard or spinach), chopped coarsely
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper powder (or 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes)
- 1/2 C. Vegetable Broth (such as Golden Bouillon)
- 1 15-oz can of Chickpeas or 1 1/2 C. cooked Chickpeas
- 1/2 C. Raisins
- 1/2 tsp. dried Basil (or 1 tsp. Fresh Basil, minced)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/4 C. toasted Walnuts
From Chris Wark of #ChrisBeatCancer, his latest best selling book:
BEAT CANCER KITCHEN:
Plant-based Anti-Cancer Recipes
- Toast the Walnuts: https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-toast-walnuts-2216935
- Cook the Penne in a large pasta pot in salted boiling water, occasionally stirring until just tender.
- While the pasta cooks, add water to a large skillet over medium heat and add in the garlic, greens, and Chipotle pepper. Cook, stirring, until the greens are limp and wilty (2 minutes).
- Add in the broth, chickpeas, raisins, basil and salt and pepper. Cook a minute or two longer to blend flavors. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Drain the cooked pasta well and return it to the pot. Add the other mixture and the walnuts. Toss to combine.
- Serve hot.