|Cranberry-Orange-Chia Muffin Recipe|
Back in the day when people arrived at your door with baked muffins (does that happen any more?) I remember replicating a delectable recipe for orange-date muffins that involved cutting up a whole orange-- skin and all-- and putting it in my blender with those dates that came in hard little blocks from the Co-op, and of course, sugar, eggs, raisins, and oil and probably milk.
I got a craving for that fruity, yummy muffin. I wondered if such a recipe existed for a vegan, oil free muffin with similar ingredients and taste. Well, I did find a similar yummy-looking muffin recipe from the Vegan Richa blog, and made a few adjustments to get some of the "old" longed-for texture and taste in the recipe below. See what you think!
- 1 C.+ 2 T. organic seedless Orange Juice and Pulp
- Peel from 1/2 organic Orange
- 4 T. Chia Seeds
- 1/2 C. Sugar (I used organic brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla (I didn't have Vanilla, but did have Orange Extract)
- 1 1/4 C. Flour (I used organic Spelt)
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 T. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt (I subbed 1/4 C. Nutritional Yeast Flakes)
- 1/2 C. fresh Cranberries (or Frozen, or could use other tart berry of choice)
- Peel 2 nice organic Naval, Seedless Oranges and segment into the blender. Blend up and measure out the required amount (above). Drink the rest, or set aside for someone else.
- Combine peel from 1/2 of an orange and the Orange Juice and blend until smooth.
- Add in the Chia seed and let it hydrate for about 15+ minutes in the Juice
- Line a muffin tin (smaller cups) with paper cup liners or pull out a Silicone set* for super-quick clean-up and no muffin liners needed.
- Set the oven to preheat at 375F (190C)
- Blend together orange juice mix, chia seeds, sugar and vanilla
- Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and blend until smooth. Throw in cranberries briefly at the end-- they do not have to be pureed-- you could just mix them in before pouring mix into the cups.
- Pour or spoon batter into cups to make 8 - 12 muffins (depending on size of cups)
- Bake for about 20 minutes, although baking times vary for different stoves and altitudes. Check for doneness at 20 minutes.
- Set on counter in pan to cool for about 5 minutes, and then remove to cool more on a rack (about another 20-30 minutes).