I am extending the Christmas season a tad so that we can enjoy some more of that nog flavour that we were just getting into!
This chia not pudding recipe is:
- vegan (no eggs, no dairy). I am a vegan who considers raw honey as just nectar passed through a bee... some call us bee-gans. Sub for the honey in the recipe with maple syrup or 4 dates.
- gluten-free (no gluten proteins)
- full of chia protein, which is the form that chia carbs take!
- full of chia's pretty balanced omega fatty acids (good for the brain)
- very tasty in that recognizable noggy way
- sweet, but not cloyingly sweet like the commercial nog
- can be eaten all year long or just saved up as a Christmas tradition
INGREDIENTS FOR CHIA NOG PUDDING
- 14 oz/414 ml full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup or 4 soft pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons chia seed (or 10 tablespoons chia gel*)
(Makes 2 large puddings or 3-4 smaller servings)
- If using chia gel, about an hour in advance, stir about 2 cups of water into 1/2 cup of chia seeds in a mason jar. Stir well to keep seeds from sticking and then put into the fridge.
- If using four dates to sweeten, combine the following in a blender: coconut milk, dates, vanilla, spices. Process until well-mixed.
- If using raw honey or maple syrup, combine the coconut milk, sweetener, vanilla and spices and stir in a heavy-bottom saucepan over low heat to bring all elements together. (Do the same with the blender mix using dates). When heated (but not boiling), remove from the heat and stir in the chia seed or chia seed gel until smooth throughout, and spoon into a serving bowl or individual cups. Refrigerate for about 2 hours for a perfect blend of ingredients and the best nog experience of the season!
- Eat when set! Use your favourite Christmas garnishes-- picture shows a garnish of dried cranberries. Puffy coconut whip would be a dream. Raisins would go well with the nutmeg-cinnamon spiciness.
Click below for some delicious Chia Seed Breakfast recipes:
Enjoy some chia seed recipes at
your breakfast table!