|I wish this were my own cherry tree- nothing so fruitful in my yard...yet! Courtesy of Yokim at scx.hu|
It's a foggy old rainy old day out there, but it's not particularly cold and we don't have to shovel it, so end of complaints. Today is perfect for a happiness-making, sweet, and tangy bowl of Cheery Pie Oatmeal Porridge. This is purely decadent and will make you feel like a princess for a day-- it's perfect for Valentine's Day breakfast. Find the recipe below:
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2-3 generously)
1/2 C. Almonds (organic if you can find them)
1 C. Steel Cut Oats (Buy GF Oats if you are Gluten-sensitive)
1/4 C. Chia seed
1/2 C. organic Dried Cranberries (or dried cherries) (or REAL CHERRIES as in picture)
1/4 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
1/4 C. Wholesome Sweeteners Raw Cane Sugar from Malawi
1/2 C. organic Coconut shreds
3 C. Water
1 tsp. Simply Organic Almond Extract
Tree of Life Organic Cherry Spread
|Cheery Pie Oatmeal-- starring REAL cherries!|
- Toast Almonds in pre-heated 350F oven. Spread almonds evenly over pan surface and toast for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure no burning takes place. Toasting gives the almonds that extra luxurious flavour and crunch. Alternatively, use soaked raw almonds and do not toast. Chop or slice almonds and put aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot except for Almond Extract, Cherry Spread and Almond Mylk. Turn on to high heat and bring to boil. Immediately turn down to lowest heat level and cover with lid. Continue cooking on low heat until most of the moisture is absorbed into the oats (15+ minutes, more time if you want the oats to be less chewy). Stir occasionally.
- When done, stir in the Almond Extract.
- Put Porridge in individual bowls and garnish with a scoop of the Cherry Spread and the slivered Almonds. Pour the Mylk around the periphery.
- Substitutions for what you like better than the above, or what you have in your own cupboards/fridge are always allowed! Please come back after you've tried this and let me know what revisions you made and how it turned out!
Check out Jealous Fruits Dark Cherries.... oh yum yum yum yum (got them at Costco)